In this article I will continue list the frequently asked questions I started in Office 365 FAQs: Part 1 – Customisation and development techniques post. The answers are from Microsoft MSDN and TechNet.
1. Can I have Exchange Hyper deployment (On primes and online)?
Yes, you can have users using Office 365 exchange and others using on primes deployment.
The full-featured deployment of a cross-premises Exchange messaging solution with Office 365 for enterprises and Exchange Online. Features include:
- Mail routing between on-premises and cloud-based organizations
- Mail routing with a shared domain namespace. For example, both on-premises and cloud-based organizations use the @contoso.com SMTP domain.
- A unified global address list, also called a “shared address book”
- Free/busy and calendar sharing between on-premises and cloud-based organizations
- Centralized control of mail flow. The on-premises organization can control mail flow for the on-premises and cloud-based organizations.
- A single Outlook Web App URL for both the on-premises and cloud-based organizations
- The ability to move existing on-premises mailboxes to the cloud-based organization
- Centralized mailbox management using the on-premises Exchange Management Console (EMC)
- Message tracking, MailTips, and multi-mailbox search between on-premises and cloud-based organizations
2. Is it possible to authenticate my Active directory users to SharePoint Online?
Yes, you can configure single sign on between the corporate active directory and Office 365. The setup of single sign-on requires Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) 2.0 (AD FS 2.0). If the user is connecting from outside your company’s network, you must deploy an AD FS 2.0 proxy.
Source: Prepare for single sign-on
3. Where are Microsoft Online Service data-centres located?
As a standard policy, Microsoft does not disclose the location of its data centres. Microsoft operates between 10 and 100 data centres located around the world. The following are locations Microsoft has elected to disclose to the general public:
For customers with a Ship-To Address in the Americas:
- Quincy, Washington,
- San Antonio, Texas
- Chicago, Illinois
- and other United States-based Data Centres
For customers with a European Union Ship-To Address:
- Dublin, Ireland
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- United States
For customers with an Asia-Pacific Ship-To Address:
- Hong Kong
- United States
Source: Geographic Boundaries
4. Is my data secured in SharePoint Online?
We have implemented and will maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures, internal controls, and information security routines intended to protect customer data against accidental loss, destruction, or alteration; unauthorized disclosure or access; or unlawful destruction. Each year, we undergo third-party audits by internationally recognized auditors to validate that we have independent attestation of compliance with our policies and procedures for security, privacy, continuity and compliance.
MS Online Certification and Compliance Finder for Office 365
Office 365 Data Centres and Physical Infrastructure (Provided by Microsoft Global Foundation Services)
5. Where I can find more information about Office 365?
- SharePoint Online: An Overview for Developers
- Take a look at all Office 365 plans available
- SharePoint Online Developer Feature Availability Matrix
- SharePoint Online Developer Resource Center | SharePoint 2010 | MSDN
- Download: Office 365 for Enterprise Service Descriptions
- Free eBook: Microsoft Office 365: Connect and Collaborate Virtually Anywhere, Anytime