SharePoint 2013 has a lot of new features in different workloads. Enterprise search is one of the workloads that has a lot of updates and enhancements. Here I am listing the main new features that has been enhanced/added to SharePoint 2013
- Combination of FAST and SharePoint Search: all FAST search server and SharePoint features are now combined and available in SharePoint 2013
- Installed by default: no more separate FAST search server installation, search is now a built-in service application
- Used pervasively throughout the platform: search is used in different features, content roll up, analytics, content query…etc.
- High Scalability: implicitly SharePoint 2013 search inherits the high scalability model of FAST search server
- Continuous Crawling: this is new interesting feature, where the farm administrator can enable continuous crawling for content so once you add a new document it can appear in the search results in matter of minutes even it will not wait for indexing to finish to appear in the search results
- Site administrators can manage result sources: content sources is now called result sources. Result sources can be defined by site administrator not like the old days which was configured only through the service application
- Entity Extraction: it is one of FAST search core features, you can manage entity extraction through managed metadata settings in the term store. so you add new entities as a new term
- Schema management: schema is the columns you want to expose managed properties in the search. schema can be managed by the site administrators.
- Custom Ranking Model: in SharePoint 2013 you can define custom ranking model for your search results through Powershell commands.
- Query Suggestions: SharePoint 2013 suggests queries for the user based on the links the users clicked before and based on other users search queries
- Query Rules: you can define rules for each query based on keywords or who is searching and based on this you can start different queries or change the original query.
- Search Refinements: you can easily define search refinements through managed data through marking the term as available for refinement.
Happy SharePoint 2013